Sunday 27 November 2016

A DIALOGUE BETWEEN HAZRAT ABU HAZIM TABA'I RE AND CALIPH SULAYMAN ABDUL MALIK - Part 4

Continued from before...

The Caliph asked, "Alright, how can we reform ourselves now?"

Abu Hazim RE said, "Give up your Takabbur (believing that one is superior to others and others are inferior to oneself), be considerate of others, and be just in fulfilling people's rights."

"Abu Hazim, is it possible that you come to live with us?"

"May Allah protect me from it!"

"Why?"

"Because I am afraid that if I live with you, I might begin to like your wealth and your grandeur, and that I may have to face a grave punishment for it."

"Is there anything you need? What can we do for you?"

"Yes, I have a need. Can you please save me from going to Hell and make me enter paradise?"

"That is not in my power."

"Then there is nothing you can do for me."

The Caliph asked Hazrat Abu Hazim RE to pray for him. Abu Hazim RE said this prayer for him, ""O Allah, if you approve of Sulayman, make the betterment of this world and the Hereafter easy for him. But if he is your enemy, drag him by the hair towards the deeds you approve of."

The Caliph then asked him for some special advice. Abu Hazim RE said, "I shall make it short. Revere your Lord to a degree that He does not find you in a place where He has forbidden you to go, and He does not find you absent from the place where He has commanded you to be."

Later on, the Caliph sent one hundred gold Dinars to him as a present. Abu Hazim RE sent the money back with a letter saying, "If these Dinars are the wages for my words, then blood and pork are, in my eyes, cleaner than this money. If you believe that this money is my due from the public exchequer, then there are hundreds of Ulama (religious scholars) and servants of Islam. If you have sent the same amount to each one of them, I can accept the money, otherwise I do not need it."

The end...

Adapted from Ma'ariful Quran, Interpretation of Surah Al-Baqarah, by Mufti Muhammad Shafi RE

No comments:

Post a Comment