Sunday 31 July 2016

RIGHTS OF PARENTS

Hazrat Abdullah Ibne Masood RAA has narrated that once I asked the Holy Prophet SAW that what is the act that Allah SWT likes most? Rasool Allah SAW said that Allah's favourite act is that a person prays Salah (Namaz) at the correct time. I asked, "and after Salah?" Rasool Allah SAW said, "treating your parents well." I asked, ""and after treating one's parents well?" He said, "doing Jihad in the way of Allah."

Hazrat further said that rights of parents are paramount among rights of all human beings (Huqooq-ul-Ibad). There is no one whose rights are more important than the rights of parents. Because parents are the conduit to a person coming into this world Allah SWT has declared their rights to be more important than rights of any other human being. It is narrated in a Hadith (saying of Rasool Allah SAW) that if a person looks lovingly at his parents once then Allah SWT grants him Thawab (eternal reward) equal to that of doing a Hajj and Umrah.

It is narrated in another Hadith that once a Sahabi (companion of Rasool Allah SAW) came to Rasool Allah SAW and said, "Ya Rasool Allah SAW! I want to do Jihad and my intention is only that Allah SWT becomes happy with me and grants me Thawab." Rasool Allah SAW asked, "Do you want to do Jihad solely yo get Thawab?" He replied, "Yes Ya Rasool Allah! I only want to earn Thawab." Rasool Allah SAW asked, "Are your parents alive?" He said, "Yes Rasool Allah! My parents are alive." Rasool Allah SAW said, "Then go and look after your parents. If your sole intention is to earn Thawab, then you will earn more Thawab by looking after your parents than doing Jihad."

Adapted from the talk "Looking after one's parents" by Mufti Muhammad Taqi Usmani DB

No comments:

Post a Comment